Labels

Tuesday 19 November 2013

Overcomers


Overcome. What does the word mean? It can be an adjective or a verb.

I’m overcome (or sad, or overwhelmed, or swamped or blue) with my circumstances – triggers of which may include grief, disappointment, anxiety, frustration, uncertainty, or a host of other feelings.

Or

I have overcome (or triumphed or beaten or dealt with) some difficult experiences in the past- health problems, changing employment, family concerns; and there is no reason to think that future problems cannot be overcome also.

Jesus told us:

In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33”

One of Satan’s tactics is to encourage us to focus on self- our troubles and inability to escape from them, and the inadequacy at times of our own solutions to overcome them. We are tempted to forget the amazing power of the indwelling Holy Spirit to take control of our lives.
When we belong to Christ, His Holy Spirit is at work, both within us and within the spheres of life that we inhabit. He’s at work in the world around us, leading, guiding, counselling and orchestrating circumstances. Despite what is happening in our lives at any given time, we need to frequently remind ourselves that God loves us and wants to encourage us.
It’s a well-known scripture, but it helps to remember the words of God in the book of Jeremiah:

" For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:11-13)


When we pray, God hears. He knows we are seeking His will. Sometimes we get the very answer we have been praying for. At other times the circumstances of our lives can still be extremely unsure and difficult. Yet they are never unchanged when we bring God into the picture. We have the assurance that

He will go before us and make a way, even if there seems to be no way.

He will walk beside us every step of the way.

He will attend to all that we leave behind us.


God tells us that He will never leave us or forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:8, Hebrews 13:5). We have the assurance that He is with us in good times and bad, and that we can overcome trials and temptations through trusting in His loving care.

“Be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Romans 12:21) (New International Version)

“'He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.” (Revelation 3:21) (New American Standard Version)



No comments:

Post a Comment