Labels

Friday 5 October 2012

The Cross




For Christians, the cross was a part of and now symbolizes the most significant event in human history. The Son of God uttered the immortal words “It is finished” and died on the cross.
What exactly was finished? Christ’s purpose on Earth was finished. He had revealed God in human form. He had glorified His Father and obeyed Him even to the point of death in the most horrific, excruciating manner. He had borne the sins of mankind upon Himself and made a way for suffering humanity, who had hopelessly attempted to be reconciled with God through endless rules and sacrifices, to finally be able to approach God and be in right relationship with Him. He had forever conquered the powers of darkness and forces of evil upon this Earth in the spiritual realm, even though temporary wickedness still remains until Christ returns.
Throughout history, the cross has been a symbol of our Christian heritage and faith. Some of the great cathedrals of the United Kingdom and Europe were built in the shape of a cross. Many church buildings have been constructed with a cross atop the highest point, so that everything is at the foot of the cross.
Personally I like to be in a church building which displays a cross up high, front and central. It signifies to me that we acknowledge that everything that goes on in the building – the worship, preaching, the lives of all who are there, are secondary and humbled before the cross. It is not about our own efforts. It’s about what Christ has already done. We do not worship the cross, we worship the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the One God in three forms who died on the cross and rose again and reigns; and the symbol of the cross reminds us that the only reason we can each come to the Father is through the price paid by His Son. 



“Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)

“At the cross I bow my knees
Where Your blood was shed for me
There's no greater love than this
You have overcome the grave
Your Glory fills the highest place
What can separate me now?”

“At the Cross” song and lyrics by Hillsong United


“When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.”

song lyrics by Isaac Watts

“But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself." (John 12:32)

No comments:

Post a Comment