Labels

Friday 26 October 2012

Rescue - a wordwalk


Here I am, alone, unafraid
life’s castaway, sheltering upon
my own sandy shore, playing in wavelets, picking shells
and dancing on the tidal strand
I make my home with my own hands, a bower
of palm fronds, interlaced, sheltering
from sun and breezes, here I lie
dreaming my own forgettable dreams

Not seeing the thunderheads looming
in a darkening sky, upon the far horizons

Ah, how the air is chilled, a still silence
pervades the atmosphere, the bird calls hushed,
and nature waits

a crack of thunder heralds the
approaching storm
the lightning flashes far across the sky
and now
the mighty torrents whip the spray
of ages through my stinging eyes

I clutch
the fragile thatch that tears away
I grasp for nothing, all is gone and left behind
the wind, a mighty power lifting me
to dash on stones, I fear
my life is gone
lost

is there no rescue?

here in the dark, the lash, the cold, the old primeval fear,
I stagger like a drunken fool, no path
to guide my feet
stumbling night

then

a hand, a strong arm around me
leading me forward
firm pressure guiding, here
a sheltering cave
concealed with bushes, part them, come within

a tiny space in the storm, firm dry sand
beneath my battered body,
lay me down and breathe, deeply, breathe again
He is here, beside me
rest in the comfort of his warm embrace
arms around me, holding me close
He is here
and will never leave
He loves me so
my loved one, my champion, my strong protector
loves me so
and will shelter me in every storm
He will never let me go
Or take His loving presence from me

Beyond the storm
and into the quiet light
of resurrection
My rescuer walks with me
He loves me so


His name

is Jesus.


copyright Jo Collett 2010

( A few years ago I began to experiment with what I term "wordwalks" - narrative verse describing a situation or journey. These were  designed for visualisation and meditation to assist in distracting the mind away from pain or to provide an image to concentrate on in a hospital room. The idea was a result of my own experiences with cancer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment