Labels

Saturday 22 June 2013

Think, Pray, Love



Have the elect become the elite?

Is the book of Genesis allegory or fact?

Are you a complementarian or egalitarian?

Do you believe in pre-tribulation, post-tribulation or mid-tribulation rapture?

Do you support Arminianism or Calvinism? What is meant by prevenient grace? Total depravity? 

Once saved, always saved?

What precepts surround speaking in tongues?

Can God surprise Himself? Or change His mind? Do we have any influence on Him?

What is the nature of our relationship with God? What does free will mean? Are we pawns on a cosmic chessboard?
...


When I was a young Christian, saved at 22, my faith was simple. Thirty years have passed since that time and if I’ve learned anything at all, it’s that faith will produce much in the way of questions, and debate amongst Christians. Various conclaves and councils and scholars with minds far more illuminated and well-trained than mine have grappled with the tenets of our faith. Schisms have occurred and factions have split apart throughout church history, forming separate denominations.

I’m not a trained theologian, but I love God and desire to always grow in relationship with Him, which includes reading His word, the Bible; prayer, and fellowship with other Christians. In addition, I love to learn more about Him by studying books and commentaries on Christian topics and talking about Christianity with others. There is a plethora of information (and disinformation) on the internet. It’s wise to study a number of different sources and look for sites which clearly explain terms and provide both sides to a debate.

It’s sometimes a dilemma for those of us who have accepted Christianity outside of a family tradition to determine which church community to become a part of. Sometimes you learn much about issues by the values of the community that you join. For instance, I had never considered that there were protestant churches which did not allow women to become ordained ministers until I attended a church within a denomination where this was the case. As a result, I read and pondered much on the subject. When I became a Christian in the 1980’s, the popular topic for books and outreach was the “End times.” I’m sure some young people were frightened into salvation. Today the hot topics are probably social issues – justice, poverty, attitudes towards abortion and LGBT issues, and within the church, leadership.

Some people see debate amongst Christians as a sign of the faith’s fallibility. On the contrary, I tend to see it as demonstrating the very truths of God’s word. According to Genesis, we are a fallen, sinful race. Romans 8:22 tells us that “all creation has been groaning.” Even those of us who have accepted Christ as Saviour grapple with our sinful nature whilst in this life. Because of this corrupt nature, there is no perfect relationship, no perfect understanding, nor any perfect churches. We need to keep this in mind and pray to God for an infilling of His Holy Spirit, for guidance, grace, forgiveness and wisdom. Above all, we need to express our differences with respect and love, for Jesus has told us “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” (John 13:35)

God has given each of us a mind and we should honour Him by using it to discover all we can about Him in order to fulfil His commission to take the gospel to the unsaved. It should be a joy to do so, as we grow in relationship with Him.

“When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror, then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.” (1 Corinthians 13:11,12)

No comments:

Post a Comment