Labels

Saturday 5 May 2018

Passing the baton


I recently had cause, whilst browsing on the internet, to look at some online information about a man that I knew some years ago when he was a teenager. Back then he was involved in church activities and was liked and respected by those who knew him. A born stage performer, he was outgoing and athletic and hero-worshipped to some extent by some of the younger boys.
Wind the clock forward ten years and the man that I saw on the internet was still handsome and athletic, his outside appearance having changed but a little; yet his demeanour seemed so completely different. His online conversation was peppered liberally with foul expletives and his biography indicated that he was living a lifestyle far from Christian principles.
I was filled with great sadness when I read this. We can never know for sure what causes a young person to turn away from God’s ways. No doubt there are often a number of factors. What I do know in this case, however, was that the father of the young man concerned was heavily involved in a church which experienced infighting and as a result lost his church ministry (but not his faith) after being publicly humiliated in a very raucous and bitter church meeting. A church split ensued, a small but vocal group of elders held sway and a large proportion of the youth left.  One can only wonder if the hurt that the church caused his father created a cynical and antagonistic attitude in his son. Yet hopefully this young man will have many praying for him and the foundations of his Christian faith will remain, if clouded for a time, and he will return to his Father’s care.
The root cause of church hurt, of course, is Satan, who loves to create dissention among the followers of Christ, having already in hand the allegiance of the world’s unbelievers. Two of the most readily available tools he uses to this end are criticism and gossip. In the case of the church above there was much of the two behind the scenes. Perhaps there were some valid reasons for concern, but these should have been dealt with privately and respectfully.
We older folk in a church congregation must ask ourselves the questions-
“What messages am I giving to the children and youth in my church?”
“Am I supporting them in encouragement? In Godly example?”
“Do I want things to remain just how I like them, or am I accepting of new ways of doing things?
“Am I willing to release finances for youth/ young adults programs, knowing that many young people are not able to contribute financially? “
“Am I committed to praying and supporting the ministry leaders in my church? Do I pray for my fellow brothers and sisters in my church family, including the young adults and children?”
“Do I speak words of wisdom, praise and encouragement or do I enjoy spreading juicy gossip? Do I find faults in and criticise others in my church?”

As I reflected on the situation of the young man who had fallen away, I was challenged to repent of any times in my church life when I have criticised, carried gossip and failed to encourage those in ministry and young people. May God give me a willing heart to support and encourage others. As one of my online mentors, Pastor Chuck Smith says, the young people are the ones who will be carrying on when we are carried out. A relay race is not won by the final leg runner alone. It's also won by the others who ran their leg and passed the baton on to their successors.


No comments:

Post a Comment