Labels

Monday 15 July 2013

Altar Call



There was a church in a inner city neighbourhood of a US city which had experienced a period of growth in its congregation and blessing upon the ministry efforts of the pastoral team. As part of their approach to conducting church services, the minister decided, amongst other changes, to have regular "altar calls" at the end of a service. At these times people would be asked if they wished to accept Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour, or if they wished to rededicate their lives to Christ. At other times a pastor might ask if people who had been prompted by the particular topic of the sermon to come forward for prayer.
The first week, when the pastor asked for anyone who wanted to commit themselves to Jesus to come forward during the final hymn, an elderly man who regularly attended services shuffled to the front for prayer and rededicated his life.
The next week’s sermon revolved around missions. The minister asked if anyone who was considering mission work could come forward for prayer. The elderly man stepped forward again.
At the end of the following week’s service, the minister asked if anyone would like to accept Jesus as their Saviour, or rededicate their life to Christ. Again the elderly man stepped to the front.
So it continued. Each time there was an altar call, the old man rose quickly and went forward. Some of the congregation began to whisper and giggle each time. Finally one of the pastors decided to speak with the gentleman about his actions.
The following Sunday the minister once again gave an invitation for anyone who did not know Jesus as their personal Lord and Saviour to come forward during the final hymn for prayer. Again the old gentleman rose quickly and stepped forwards
This time, before praying, the pastor gently led the old man to a quiet pew on one side. “George,” said the pastor “I’m always happy to pray for you, but you know that you’re saved. You’ve accepted Jesus as your Saviour. I know how much you love Him. Don’t think that you need to keep coming forward to accept His gift.”
Tears filled the old man’s eyes. “You’ve got it all wrong, Pastor.” he said. “Let me tell you why I come forward. Years ago, when I was a young man and first started going to a church, I wanted very much to ask Jesus to become my Saviour. Week after week the pastor would ask if anyone wanted to receive Jesus, just step forward. And week after week I wanted to, but was too scared. I just sat there. Then one week, another man got up and went forward, and I thought, well, if he can get up so can I. So I did.
That was a long time ago. Receiving Jesus as my Saviour was the best thing I ever did. And it might have taken me a lot longer if it hadn’t have been for that other man. So that’s why I get up now.
I want to be that other man for somebody else.”


(Storyteller's note: this is not my fabrication but a true story I heard about twenty years ago. Like all stories that are retold, some of the details may have changed slightly in the telling, but the message is essentially the same. I retell it here because it is a story that moved me profoundly at the time and has stuck in my memory.)


No comments:

Post a Comment