Labels

Saturday 9 March 2013

A Couple of Evening Poems

Nightfall

Leaves are sweeping the darkening sky
Cicadas call incessantly to the day
Overhead the lonely curlews cry
A distant siren sounds and dies away
You read beside the lamp beside our bed
I drink hot tea and ponder words to write
At last the child has dropped his touseled head
And leaves and sky have melted into night





Solitary Gull


Why do you fly, lone traveller,
Skimming the surface of the dark water
When all have left and flown to nest and home?
Yet you and I
Driven by an unbridled longing
Find freedom still to roam.
Swiftly the silent night descends
A chill wind whispers
That the sun’s last rays have touched our wanderings
Too late, too late
You will fly before me,
Out-soar me and be gone
But I will remember you, forever flying
Over a deep and rolling ocean
Into a vast and starry night.







No comments:

Post a Comment