Labels

Saturday 25 August 2012

Book Review: "Do Yourself a Favor...Forgive" by Joyce Meyer



Forgiveness is something I struggle with, so when I saw the title of Joyce Meyer’s recently published book, I knew it was a “must have”. It was well worth the investment.
Joyce Meyer is not without her critics. If you are a televangelist as well as a woman in ministry, that would be a given. However, she has a firm conviction as to her calling which I find most admirable. Her work reveals her strong focus on God and biblical precepts and teaching.
In clear, easy to understand format, Joyce approaches the subject of forgiveness from a biblical perspective, without denying the very human emotions which make it such a challenge. She provides case studies of situations requiring forgiveness to which many of the readers can relate, ranging from minor irritations to serious abuse.
Joyce provides a process of steps to follow in relation to forgiveness. Her approach is found in the desire to forgive, followed by a conscious decision, dependency on the Holy Spirit to bring this to fruition, and prayer for those who have wronged you.  
Part of Joyce’s testimony is found in the final chapter of the book. With searing honesty she describes her childhood abuse within her birth family and the effects of her Christian witness of forgiveness toward her abuser.
I believe that God’s love and grace is demonstrated through Joyce’s writing and I personally found this book to be of great encouragement to me in dealing with situations that require forgiveness. It also clearly reminded me of my need for forgiveness on an ongoing basis while I reside this side of eternity, and the goodness and grace of God who forgives me through the work and advocacy of His Son, Jesus Christ. I thoroughly recommend this work for those struggling or interested in the subject.

"Do Yourself a Favor...Forgive" by Joyce Meyer FaithWords (Hachette Book Group) New York 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment