Labels

Tuesday 11 October 2022

Little prayers

 "Father, lead me day by day

Ever in Your own sweet way

Teach me to be pure and true

Show me what I ought to do. Amen

 

 

Gentle Jesus, meek and mild

Look upon this little child

Pity my simplicity

Teach me Lord, to come to Thee. Amen


I was fortunate as a child to have parents that believed in God, who attended church and who taught me to pray. These two little prayers are ones that my earthly Father taught me at a young age. After saying them at bedtime I would also ask God to bless by name my family members and more generally my "little friends and animals."We were a family that loved animals, our pets and the wild creatures that lived around us. 

These little prayers have stayed with me all my life, well into adult years. Whilst they are not the basis of my prayer life now, they remind me of the love that God feels for little children and how we must come to Him not with the intellect and accomplishments of our lives, but with the simple faith and love of a child.

Sometimes when I cannot sleep, when the worries and cares of this life surround me, I will pray again the words that my Dad taught me, and God replies with comfort and peace.  







No comments:

Post a Comment