Labels

Monday 13 July 2015

After the Funeral




We sit ensconced in patterned chairs and memories. My brother
decants port into the Waterford crystal
“Prost” he utters sadly, wearily, raising the glass aloft, we drink
a silent toast to life, wordless the others, wandering eyes too strained
for tears, each valiantly glances, turns away

She must be here, somewhere among her pretty things, the china cups
tipped just so, the books still scattered here and there, she’ll walk again
in through the double doors, trailing confidence and garden clippings
laughing with fearless smile under the scant bandana

My sister replaces her glass on the tray, dispassionately,
greedy eyes calculate its worth, manicured talons poised
on what they would claim, no sentiment here, just valuation
the hard-core worth of things, remind myself again
let it rest unspoken, this is not our day but hers, not
the time for fuss and recrimination

Hours enough for the sorting out, the packing and sharing
division of her life into string bags and plastic boxes
What to take away, what to leave behind, symbols
evaluation, compromise
Her spirit could never be contained, her love
unconquered, undivided, all she really leaves
and what we carry forth

The glass is cold in my palm, wine rolls like a last kiss
on my tongue, my mind, my body, body of her body, blood of her blood
a bittersweet swallowing, a sacrament, a final gesture.

I drain the wine.
Sunlight, captured in crystal, dances in raindrops
across the carpet, sparkling like mercury scattered
free and unfettered, tiny colours moving
and I see her again in memory through the open window
Among the flowers, breathing the scented air
Barefoot, dancing, her long hair flowing free.

No comments:

Post a Comment